Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pat Aube Email

Yesterday I received the following Email from Pat Aube. Pat served on the Hazelwood 62-63 as a CS3.  He was in Hawaii for the Pearl Harbor ceremonies and I thought his Email would be of interest to all of you.

"Happy New Years Jim. Thanks for the blog and for keeping in touch. Sherrie and I were in Hawaii again this year. Every one asked about the Hazelwood hat I was wearing. Even some of the survivors of Dec 7th. You know this was the last year they will be there. I guess they are too old. They turned all of their records over to the park service who is in charge of the memorial now.
I also met a young guy on a tour we took called the Home Of The Brave tour who had read about the Hazelwood in a book by James Elliot but I can't remember the rest. It really surprised me . Well again MERRY XMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEARS to you and yours. Be proud. Lots of people knew about the great Hazelwood we need to keep her alive as long as we can.  Pat"

I searched the Internet for the author " James Elliott" hoping to find the book in which the Hazelwood was mentioned. I was not successful!! Then I spoke to Pat on the phone and found that the author was Samuel Eliot Morrison. One of his books is "Victory in the Pacific 1945 ..." No doubt that is where the Hazelwood is written about. Now I will have find the book in our local library!!

Smooth Sailing, Jim Julian

No comments:

Post a Comment