Sunday, April 10, 2011

Scrapping of the Hazelwood

Several weeks ago I was contacted by Stewart Abelson from La Mesa , CA. In the 1976 he was buying various items from the government and received information about items that were for sale. Even though he did not intend buying ships, he received information about ships that were for sale.

The following pictures are of a document offering the Hazelwood for sale in 1976. There are several pages of information about the items as well as pictures of the engineering items. I found it interesting that they appraised the value of the Hazelwood at $152,000.




2 comments:

  1. Mr. Julian-

    My name is W.B. Smith and my father was on the Hazelwood from 1962-1965 (ish). Pardon me as I probably dont know the exact dates, or navy jargon. Nevertheless he passed away a little over 3 years ago. He LOVED the Navy and especially the ships he was on. I have some Hazelwood memorabilia that I would love to donate to someone I know who would take care of it, and hopefully pass it on as they age. If this is something you may be interested in please let me know.
    Thanks-
    WB Smith
    w.b.smith@mchsi.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I contacted W. B. Smith and he sent a bell, plaque and cap of his father's. All were displayed at the reunion. The bell was well used as we used it as an attntion getting device. Also at the memorial service we tolled the bell once for each shipmate that were found out who had passed away since the past reunion.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete