Thursday, May 31, 2012

Re: Who Was Commanding at Okinowa

Today I received the following email from Murray Palladino.

"Dear Jim,
It was my understanding that Cmdr Douw was still in command on the 29th of
April 1945. I don't recall hearing of any change in command. Being in the radio group I would think we would have received some notification. I do remember hearing that Cmdr Douw was to be relieved,
Murray Palladino RMC 3rd
1943--1946"

I recall seeing a list of those KIA at Okinawa  in one of the booklets from a past reunion. We have quite a bit of memorabilia and I have not yet had time to search through all of it.  When and if I find the list I will post it on the blog.

REMINDER: The 2013 reunion will be in the Newport area April 27-29. More info will follow as it develops.

3 comments:

  1. My uncle, Laddie Novak (BM) served aboard the Hazelwood during the kamikaze attack. Apparently he had a USS Hazelwood ring that is now lost. Was this a unit item, are there any left? Can one still be purchased?
    Please respond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick, I have never seen a Hazelwood ring and there is not one in the memorabilia that we have. There are shipmates that attend our reunion who also served during the kamikaze attack. If any of them are aware of a ring, I hope they respond about it.
    NEW SUBJECT - I have an address for your uncle in Cour D'Alene. Is that still a valid address? You can email me directly at dd531reunion@earthlink.net. Thanks, Jim julian

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete