Saturday, February 16, 2013

Ray Heinrich , GM1, 42-45 letter

I received the following letter from Raymond Heinrich today and I am sure he will  not mind my posting it here.
Roseland, NE
Feb 11,2013

Dear Jim,
I am finally getting around to answer your invitation to the Hazelwood reunion of 2013 in Newport, RI. I wanted to say, yes, we would be there with bells on, but there are obstacles that need consideration. Both of us (my wife and I) have some health problems which dictate everyday activity. Secondly, we do not travel alone any more so we rely on the children and they have jobs that do not lend to "days off"at that time of year. If there are any changes I will call and let you know.
However, I would appreciate It very much if you would keep me on the  mailing list, as well as other men who have served in the 40's. We were a close knit group and like to keep up on the happenings of  our  fellow shipmates. After boot camp and Gunnery School, I was assigned to the Hazelwood. I was on board when the ship was commissioned and still on board when she was decommissioned. Also Chet Locke and I were responsible for the very first reunion.
Sincerely, I thank you for your consideration and input to keep the reunion going.
/signed/ GM1, Raymond Heinrich, 42-45, Age 93+

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr. Heinrich,

    My dad, Ernest "Gene" Scalise served on the USS Hazelwood from June 1945 to October 1945 as a GM3. I'm wondering if you remember him. Sadly, he passed away in 2001. I think he was probably a few years younger than you. I have a picture of him and some of the crew on a ship but I'm not sure if it is the Hazelwood, he also served on another ship. Thank you so much for your service to our country and I hope your health improves soon. Debbie

    ReplyDelete