Thursday, September 10, 2009

Emails updating & Senior Sailors

Over the last week I have been gathering and verifying email addresses. Of course we had our own list and then I got a lot of new ones from Tin Can Sailors and also from Destroyers On Line. We now have 190 verified emails of shipmates including some relatives of deceased shipmates.

If you are in contact with some past shipmates, please make them aware of this site and have them get in contact with me so I can add them to our email list.

While in this process I had some interesting events. One of our shipmates was on board when attacked at Okinowa. He was a Radioman and survived because his CQ station was in the emergency radio shack midships. I got another email from the brother of Radioman that did not survive since his GQ station was in the main radio shack near the bridge. I put them in contact with each other and they are now both planning to come to the reunion so they can exchange information on a one-to-one basis.

I have also gotten emails from other relatives wanting to know if any shipmates remembers their loved ones. I will get this list put together and make a posting of these requests. Maybe they will get some information that will be helpful to them.

SENIOR SAILORS!!!

This came to mind while doing emails. The ship was decommissioned in March 1965, That was 44 years ago!! If a brand new recruit was on board at that time he might have been as young as 17. If you add 44 years and 17 years, the youngest of any of our shipmates is probably 61 years old. We are definitely a Senior Sailors Group even though I and most of us may not think that way. However, every now and then in the morning when getting up, my body tells me I might be at least that old!!!

Smooth sailing until the next Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment