Sunday, August 8, 2010

Another Email

Shipmates, I recently received this email and thought you would like to see it. Jim Julian

"Dear Sir,

I found this picture among my father's collection of WW-II photographs, and I thought it might be of interest to you. This gruesome mess is identified as the destroyer USS Hazelwood, DD-531, as she appeared after being hit by a Kamikaze off Okinawa. It's incredible to realize that this ship actually survived this holocaust!

My father, Paul D. Guttman (1920-2005) was a Navy combat cameraman (PHoM 2/C), who served in just about every campaign, on land, at sea, in the air and even under the sea, from new Guinea to Okinawa. I do not know the circumstances of how or when he came to take this picture. As far as I know he was not a member of the Hazelwood's crew, nor was he ever attached to the ship as far as I am aware. He left hundreds of pictures such as this, many of which have never been published, which I am only now finally getting around to collating. He began sorting them out before he died, but he never finished the job.

Sincerely,

Robert Guttman"




No comments:

Post a Comment