Saturday, August 7, 2010

E-Mails of interest

This is an email I received from Kay Keith, Dub Keith’s daughter. Dub served on the Hazelwood in 51-55 in the Deck crew. I have not listed Kay’s email or phone but if you wish to have either, email me and I will supply the information. (dd531reunion@earthlink.net)

"UPDATE

Dad can't have surgery because his lungs are not strong enough. Someone his age should have lung functions of around 70%, he has 43%. So, if any of you are still sucking on them cigarettes:
STOP IT NOW! He quit 5 years ago, but the damage had already been done.

He has a wonderful Radiation Oncologist that went to bat for him and got him approved for Cyperknife Radiotherapy. Medicare usually will not approve this for people with small call lung cancer, but she got it approved. This is cutting edge technology that uses a computer guided laser to target just the cancer cells and leaves the healthy cells intact. Traditional radiation just kills the whole area, plus it usually makes just about everyone sick. Cyperknife is a different type and doesn't have all the side effects. I take him to the hospital on Tuesday for the final lung scan to map out exactly where the tumor is for the computer mapping. He will have 5 straight days of this and that's all, versus 16 - 20 for the traditional kind. His chemotherapy will consist of 3 straight days in a row, once a month for 6 months. I am not sure when he will start chemo. For anyone who knows anything about chemo drugs, he will be taking a cocktail of Etoposide and Carboplatin, both are old standby, typical drugs used specifically for Small Cell.

I will try and keep you informed, but with all the running back and forth to Tulsa and keeping up with appointments, I am a little frazzled myself. Feel free to e-mail me or call me. "

* * * * * * *
Here is another email I received. Some shipmate may have some information for Diann. If you have some information for her, contact me and I will put you in contact with her.

"Hello, I am hoping you can help me..I joined your distribution list for the Hazelwood as my research has indicated that my father, Frank Imbriaco, served on the Hazelwood during WWII. My father passed away in 1989 and he rarely talked about his time in the Navy, but I know he served from about 1944 (he was 17 at the time) until the end of the war. Would it be possible for you to check your records to confirm that my father, Frank Imbriaco, spent his time on this ship? If you do not have this information, would you be able to let me know who I could contact to confirm and find out more about my father's experience in the Navy? Thank you so much for your time. Diann Imbriaco"

* * * * * *
And one more email that is asking for information.

"Dear Jim,

Thank you for agreeing to help me contact WWII veterans of the HAZELWOOD. I am writing a book that centers on the lives of a select group of WWII servicemen, and one of these young men was a HAZELWOOD sailor: Glenn Vogt, an electrician's mate killed in a Kamikaze attack off Okinawa.. For my research, I hope to draw upon their experiences, perspectives, and insights as well as their technical knowledge of the duties and operations of their ship - along with their memories of its battle history - as I attempt to understand and recreate Glenn's experience and the experience of the other HAZELWOOD crew. I am sincere, honest, and dedicated and am more than grateful for the assistance provided me by veterans and the family and friends of veterans of the war.
If you could relay this message to the WWII veterans of your ship, I would be more than grateful. They may e-mail me at this address (smith1.07@comcast.net) or call 815-223-2116. If however they would rather give you their numbers and addresses and have you give them to me so that I may contact them, that is also certainly fine.
I am the father of two daughters, a solid member of my community - and I respect the privacy, interests, and wishes of my interview subjects. I hope to hear back. Again, thanks very, very much.

My best,
Steve"

* * * * *
Only 8 ½ months until the reunion. Time is flying. Get your reservation in.

Smooth sailing, Jim Julian

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jim - As it stands now I intend to come to the reunion and will be bringing a guest. Please let me know how much of a deposit I should send and do I make my own reservations at the hotel?
    I personly want to thank you for all you are doing. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete