Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Interesting Email

Shipmates, I received this email recently and thought you would find it as interesting as I did. We do have a James McMahon in our mailing list but I am not sure if he is Colleen's father. I have written to her to get more information though. I will post more information as I receive it.

Sir,
 I was doing a search on the USS Hazelwood today, and came upon a website that had the statement “run up the Roadrunner flag” under the ship’s name. So I did a search on USS Hazelwood Roadrunner flag, and up came the picture of Captain Lilly’s birthday party with the Roadrunner flag. My dad made that flag!! I remember from when I was a kid. We 4 children were always so excited when the Hazelwood was in port and we could go on it. I remember watching movies in the chief’s quarters. It was a wonderful time for us. My dad happed to call me this afternoon, and I asked him why he made the flag, and he said “Captain Lilly wanted it”. When I asked why the Roadrunner, he said “because we were fast.” Your website has brought back a lot of great memories. My dad’s computer is down right now, but when it’s back up, I will make sure he checks it out!
Colleen McCartney
 (Chief McMahon’s daughter)

Smooth sailing, Jim Julian

No comments:

Post a Comment