Sunday, August 12, 2012

Re: Who was commnading at the Kamikaze attack?

As you may recall I got this comment several months back:
"I was reading the history of the Hazelwood and was wondering why Cmdr. V.P. Douw is listed as the commanding officer when according to official records my uncle, LtCmdr. Walter A. Hering took command on January 24, 1945 of the USS Hazelwood. LtCmdr. Hering was killed aboard the Hazelwood by enemy air attack on April 29, 1945"

While doing some searching in the records I  have, I found a list of those Killed In Action that fateful day.
In that list it shows WALTER ANDREW HERING, LT CDR as one of those KIA. It also lists VOLKERT PETRUS DOUW, CAPT as KIA.
There was also a copy of an article in a San Francisco newspaper of June 15 with the following: 
"..... Among those listed as dead or missing were Commander V. P. Douw, USN of Abington ......and his relief, Lieutenantant Commander Walter Hering, Jr, USN of ..... GA"

Based on this information and the recollection of at least 2 crew members present, it appears that a formal change of command had not yet taken place and that DOUW was still commanding at the time of the attack.

Smooth sailing, Jim Julian

2 comments:

  1. I believe my grandfather James Addison Young served as a Signalman (SM?) on board the USS Hazelwood. I was wondering if you knew anyone who remembered or knew him. I'm unsure as to what years he may have served, but I never knew him and am now married to a sailor myself. I am curious about my family history in the Navy! Thank You in advance if anyone knew him or remembers him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My uncle Edward Broadwater was also on the USS Hazelwood and was killed. I wonder if anyone remembered him and what his rank was. All I have is a picture of him in uniform. I would enjoy hearing from anyone who remembered him. Thank you
    Jenna Adamek, sultanababe@msn.com

    ReplyDelete