Wednesday, August 8, 2012

More Interesting Mail

In the previous post you saw an email I received. I just received a reply to my request for some additional information and I think the reply is just as interesting so here it is. I have deleted some personal contact information to for privacy concerns.
Coleen's dad is James McMahon, CPO

Hi Jim,
He served on the Hazelwood for 5 years, starting in 1959. My sister and I have great memories of visiting the ship, especially when it was “parked” 3 ships out and we had to cross 3 to get to it. How my mom managed 4 of us little kids on the ships is beyond me! There are a few names that stick in our minds to this very day – Ensign Harwood, Mr. Creek, and a sailor named Julian. We always thought that was his first name, but interesting that it’s your last!! My dad was in 35 years, and on a lot of ships, but we always considered the Hazelwood as “his” ship, our favorite. He was Chief Petty Officer, and I know was a navigator at one time, but he was so many things, not sure if that was his duty on the Hazelwood. I have a bell from the Hazelwood’s lifeboat mounted outside the door of my house – from when it was scrapped, I think!

 My dad’s email is *********@charter.net. Telephone is 413-***-****. Hopefully, his computer will be back up soon.
It’s great to be reminded of the “old days”!
Colleen

I plan on calling Chief McMahon one of these days just to reminisce and encourage him to attend the reunion!!

Smooth sailing, Jim Julian

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mr. Julian. My name is Kathryn Brannon (maiden name - Rankin). My grandfather, Elzie Lee Turner of Newberry South Carolina, served proudly on the USS Hazlewood and was present when it was hit by kamikazes. As a child, I could not understand the sacrifice that was made by the Hazlewood crew but will never forget my grandfather's passion for this country and his pride in his fellow shipmates. Did you know him? If so, what was he like back then? I am not very familiar with blogging, so please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong or an inappropriate place - For some reason, I don't see an email address.

    ReplyDelete