Saturday, January 19, 2013

Interesting Email & Taps

I got this email this evening and I want to share it with all shippmartes. If any of those who served with Stanley Znoj, Please let me know and I will let his son know.

Hi,
I'm Al Znoj and my dad served aboard the USS Hazelwood. He was assigned during the construction, fitting out, commissioning and  deployment, so I guess he would have been a plank holder.He was a SF1 aged 31 years old in 1943, so would have been one of the old guys. Don't know if any of the attendees at the reunion will remember
him or not. He never once mentioned anything about his tour of duty on the Hazelwood, nor anything in letters or pictures. He died in 1964 at age 52 so we didn't have a chance to really sit and shoot the breeze about his naval career.

I was aboard the Hazelwood in mid 1943. Don't know if it was a family day or post commissioning or what. The only thing I remember about the visit was that the ship was huge and grey all over and having dinner in the PO mess I tasted real butter for the first time. Back then civilians had margarine that you had to mix with an orange power to make it look like butter (didn't taste anything like real butter). But I was only 4 years old at the time - funny what little kids remember.

Won't be attending the reunion, but please post my note, just in case any of the attendees remember my dad.

Thanks, Al Znoj


PS: Sir, realized that I had omitted my dad's name.
It was STANLEY EDWARD ZNOJ. He was about 5-8/5-9, maybe 145/150 pounds then.

thanks, Al Znoj

No comments:

Post a Comment