Saturday, January 26, 2013

Interesting phone conversation

One of the mailings I sent out came back and I called to get get a corrected address. I expected to speak to a shipmate but I found I was talking to a step-son of Calvin Coolidge Johnson. Calvin served on the Hazelwood during WW2 and was a survivor of the Kamikaze hit. He was either a deck hand or gunners mate. Calvin also served on at least 2 other ships and had service in the Med and at D-Day and also was awarded a number of battle ribbons.
Calvin is now in a care facility in Jacksonville, FL and is not remembering things as clearly as he had in the past. Clyde, his step-son has been working for a long time trying to get more information about Calvin's service on the Hazelwood and the other ships.
If any of those who served in WW2 recall Calvin or has any information about his service, please contact me and I will put you in touch with his step-son.

No comments:

Post a Comment